Thursday, May 29, 2008

Peace is...

“Peace is not just a colored ribbon. Its more than a wristband or a t-shirt. It’s not just a donation or a 5k race. It’s not just a folk song or a white dove. And peace is certainly more than a celebrity endorsement. Peace is a full time job.” George Clooney in an advertisement for UN PeaceKeepers

I just heard this quote, and it really got me thinking---I agree 100% with what it says---while all of those things (except maybe the celebrity endorsements) help, and possibly attribute to achieving peace--- it is so much more than that. It is noble and self-sacrificing to donate money and time (and completely neccessary since, unfortunately current peace efforts are expensive), but Peace is an attitude. Peace is a frame of mind. Peace is agreeing to disagree--without blowing each other up. Peace is finding common ground..... Peace is not bullying, Peace is not bribery, Peace is not my country/my way of life/ My god is better than yours. Peace is loving everyone unconditionally, and Peace is knowing we need each other to survive. Peace is knowing we need to stop fighting, stop polluting, and start loving each other....

No comments: